Truth be told I’m not a morning person. The only reason I just about make it out the door to work at 8am is because I get out to walk the dog at 7am (and Gary shouts at me – a lot!).
Therefore, anything I can do to save time and to ensure that I get a decent breakfast has to be good, so I’m not quite sure why it has taken me so long to get on the “meal-in-a-mason-jar” train. Maybe it was because I thought that cold, soggy oats wouldn’t be very tasty. But I was wrong, and happy to admit it.
The first recipe that I tried (during my stint as Guestgrammar on the Wellness Almanac Instagram account) and the one I am sharing today, Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats, was so good that I even made it again! On the plus this breakfast is even more filling than my regular breakfast, and it only takes 5 minutes to put together and then you leave it [overnight] until you are ready to eat it!
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 3/4 cup rolled (old fashioned) oats
- 3/4 cup milk (any kind you like with your cereal)
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon creamy or crunchy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons flax seeds (optional)
- Layer all ingredients in a mason jar, starting with the oats.
- Add milk last.
- Place lid on jar and shake well to combine the ingredients.
- Place jar in fridge for overnight.
- Enjoy in the morning!
So, having successfully tried overnights oats for the first time I even attempted Banana Chocolate Chip and Strawberry Cheesecake – which is quite delicious! You can try out these recipes, and others, here. Let us know which flavour is your favourite or if you another recipe that you really enjoy please let me know – I would love to try it!