So, Ms. Richardson has been asking me to provide her with the recipes of all the things I have been making with the contents of our Ice Cap Organics veggie box, so here is my first, personal, contribution…
Due to all the rain, the Ice Cap fruit partners didn’t have any fruit in week 3’s box but the yellow and green zucchinis looked so tempting that I had to look for a recipe online to see what I could make with them.
I found a recipe for Zucchini, Feta and Mint Quiche but as we also had basil in the box I decided to substitute the mint in my version. And I’m glad I did as it provided a really great flavour – try it for yourself!
Ingredients (serves 6 to 8):
- 250g shortcrust pastry
- 2 medium size courgettes
- 125g of feta cheese
- 1 handful of basil, finely chopped
- 4 eggs
- 200ml of semi skimmed or full fat milk
- 200ml of single cream or liquid “crème fraîche”
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F
- Line the pastry in the tart mold (butter the mold or use greaseproof paper)
- Wash and grate the zucchinis finely, place in a colander and press to extract as much water/zucchini juice as possible.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and incorporate the milk and cream. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the grated zucchinis, the crumbled feta cheese and the finely chopped basil to the egg mixture. Pour into the mold.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until set.
- Serve hot or warm with a side salad.