At 6pm on Wednesday, August 22, the SLRD announced an upgrade to the evacuation alert, issuing an Evacuation ORDER. The Grouse Creek fire, which has been burning since August 11, continues to exhibit increasingly aggressive behaviour. The following is shared from https://www.slrd.bc.ca/inside-slrd/notices/emergency-notices/update-anderson-lake-grouse-creek-fire-k72289-evacuation-order-issued.
For updates, visit slrd.bc.ca, or follow https://twitter.com/slrd_bc. You can also subscribe to SLRD Alert, if you aren’t already, to be texted or called when your property is in an area affected by a weather or emergency alert. Go to https://www.slrd.bc.ca/services/emergency-management/slrd-alert-sign to sign up.
August 23, 1:00pm
The Grouse Creek fire demonstrated considerable growth along the northern flank yesterday and exhibited Rank 5 fire behaviour. The fire grew along the upper northeast side of Anderson Lake toward McGillivray Falls. Air and ground assets deployed on the fire increased throughout the day, and a structural protection specialist (SPS) will be assessing homes in the Ponderosa and McGillivray area in advance of the installation of sprinkler protection units. A fire fighting night watch crew will be patrolling the area.
This wildfire is currently exhibiting rank four and rank five fire behaviour. Rank four fire behaviour is defined as a highly vigorous surface fire with torching, or passive crown fire and rank five is an extremely vigorous surface fire or active crown fire.
- The Evacuation ORDER for Ponderosa and McGillivray remains in effect.
- The Evacuation ALERT for the D’Arcy area remains in effect.
- The Highline Road is closed from km 0 – 6.
- No access permitted by road or boat into the evacuation order area.
- Community Meeting at N’Quatqua community hall with BC Wildfire Service, SLRD, N’Quatqua and other agencies on Friday August 24, 6pm for all affected and concerned residents.
August 22, 6:00pm – Evacuation ORDER Issued for Ponderosa and McGillivray
The BC Wildfire Service reports that the fire is now showing rank four and five fire behaviour, which is extremely vigorous. At the recommendation of BC Wildfire Service and in consulation with the RCMP, the following Evacuation Orders, Evacuation Alerts and closures are in effect:
- The communities of Ponderosa and McGillivray – Evacuation ORDER (Issued)
- D’Arcy and area – Evacuation ALERT (Maintained)
- Highline Road – Road Closure – NO access from kilometre 0 – 6 from D’Arcy to north of McGillivray. No through access from Seton Portage into the road closure area.
- D’Arcy dock – open, but RCMP will be patrolling to ensure no recreational use obstructing lake access for BC Wildfire air support craft. We recommend avoiding lake use during this time.
- Ponderosa and McGillivray docks – closed, no access. Evacuation Order in effect. This is private property and any access to these areas will be considered by the RCMP to be a violation of the evacuation order.
- Community Information Meeting Friday, August 24 at 6 p.m. at N’Quatqua Community Hall