The Winds of Change is a collaborative public policy initiative of the Mount Currie Band and the Village of Pemberton to reduce the harm associated with drug and alcohol misuse and promoting healthy lifestyle choices as an alternative.
Broadly speaking the WINDS OF CHANGE is a harm reduction strategy guided by the following vision statement:
“We are neighbours, friends and relative working together to reduce the harmful effects of drugs and alcohol on our communities. We respect our differences and find strength in the common goal of a healthy and safe environment for our children and families.”
This is a unique partnership that is tackling a challenging and persistent social issue and has been successful in bringing drug and alcohol misuse to the forefront in the Pemberton Valley. It has not been an easy journey. It had a tragic beginning which resulted in both communities coming together to produce a vision of wellness for everybody. That vision is contained in the report Winds of Change: A Healing Vision. The report sets out 13 recommendations in four categories: North Wind, West Wind, South Wind and East Wind.
The Committee comprised of 18 members from various organizations from both communities, will be hosting the 3rd Annual Wellness Gathering featuring trade show style displays and workshops. Part of the event will be hosting an awards event to recognize those individuals and organizations that have made positive contributions to supporting the Winds of Change initiatives and demonstrated their commitment to address health and well-being.
The Committee is looking for an Event Coordinator to take on the task of planning and coordinating the event scheduled for October 25, 2012 at the Ull’us Community Complex in Mount Currie.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Working with the Planning Committee on event details/budget
- Adhering to event budget
- Preparing the event schedule
- Developing the event theme
- Confirming tradeshow booths and participants
- Selecting the décor to be used at the event
- Arranging the event décor, tents, tables and chairs
- Making transportation arrangements
- Selecting and hiring caterers for the event
- Preparing the guest list in conjunction with the Planning Committee
- Managing and supervising contractors, caterers and other staff
- Effectively arranging the décor
- Solicit volunteers
- Coordinate on-site arrangements
- Ensuring the event meets all health, safety and building standards
- Confirming the key note speaker and presenters
- Publishing and distributing marketing material
- Liaising with the client to ensure that the event is successful
Skills and Specifications
For an event planner to be able to perform his/her duties effectively, certain skills are required. The following are some of the important event planner skills and specifications:
- Works well under pressure
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Excellent management and organization skills
- Should be passionate about event planning
- A team player with excellent negotiation skills
- Deadline oriented with good attention to detail
Education and Qualifications
Previous experience in event coordination and local knowledge of community an asset. Public relations, marketing and project management skills are also important.
Please submit covering letter, resume and references to the Village Office, to the attention of Bettina Falloon, Executive Assistant by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (604.894.6136) or in person at 7400 Prospect Street, no later than 4:30pm on Thursday, July 26, 2012.