This Sunday, the 3rd annual Defeat the Duffy will take place… a testament to all the hard-core, lung-busting, intense athletes that populate this neck of the woods, and who think that a weekend ride up a mountain is a fun way to earn your latte…
Check out the details on their facebook page.
As Christine Cogger told Choose Pemberton last month,
Paul Nicholas is the creative genius behind this one. We’ve all ridden it a bunch in training and the smack talk between all of us was always entertaining. We never get that many people to pony up but it’s fun anyway – riders have to leave all electronic and timing devices behind and guess their ride time. The rider closest to his/her time wins. I think Paul actually came within seconds of his guess time our first year. Winner gets a basket of Pemberton goodies, participants must make a donation to the food bank and we follow up the ride with a family-friendly BBQ.
The rules are:
- Guesstimate your time from Lillooet Lake to the parking lots of Joffre Lakes on Highway 99 north of Pemberton. Approximately 13km of ‘fun’ climbing.
- No timing devices, GPS or iPods allowed.
- Time closest to your guess wins a basket of Pemberton Valley produce and goodies.
- All types of bikes welcome: road, mountain, DH, single speed…
- Entry fee is donation to the Pemberton Food Bank.